We Need YOU for the Writers Workshops!
The Writers Workshops at Anticipation are small session workshops for either experienced or beginning writers based on manuscripts submitted in advance. These workshops provide Anticipation members the opportunity to have their manuscripts evaluated by selling writers and industry professionals who enjoy helping them grow as writers. Many of these professionals have taught at residency workshops, such as Clarion, or in creative writing programs.
Each session will ideally consist of submissions from three participants. The manuscripts will be circulated in advance to both the participants and the professionals. A workshop session lasting two hours will be a critique of all three submissions, or critique with directed instruction, at the discretion of the professionals in each session.
Due to the critical nature of this workshop, it is not recommended for anyone under 18 or anyone who is sensitive to criticism. Participants are strongly urged to attend a talk that will be given by Scott Edelman on Thursday at 5:00pm “How To Respond To A Critique Of Your Writing.” The talk is intended to prepare participants for the sort of discussion that occurs in workshop settings. Scott is a veteran of workshops, a Clarion alumnus, a published writer and professional editor.
All manuscripts must be submitted in advance, since there will be no on-the-spot reading for critiques. You will also need to be prepared to attend your session, which can be assigned on any day from Friday August 7 through Monday August 10 at the convention. Each session lasts two hours.
There is a nominal entry fee that covers workshop expenses. The fee is $20.00 plus $2.58 tax and will be payable through Anticipation’s PayPal. You pay the fee when you’re notified by email that your submission has been received and accepted. Payment secures your slot.
If you wish to have two stories workshopped, you may submit a request, but you must indicate which story is your first choice and the same fee will be charged for each submission. Two stories will be considered as two submissions, whether or not the combined word count is less than the maximum allowed.
- All submissions will be electronic for Anticipation. The email address is email@example.com.
- Fiction manuscripts may be either short stories or novel excerpts. Stories must be science fiction, fantasy, gothic/horror, or have a fantastic element of some kind.
- Submissions may be French or English language. Several French-speaking professionals who have volunteered to participate, but the number is limited. Please contact the workshop as early as possible with requests for French language submissions.
- Submissions may be non-fiction critical essays of genre work. Again, the number of slots for this type of work is limited. Please contact the workshop as soon as possible to indicate you wish to submit this type of manuscript.
- Manuscript submissions may have up to 10,000 words, shorter lengths are encouraged. Manuscript format should conform to general professional submission standards. (The Writer’s Digest Guide to Manuscript Formats, by Dian Dincin Buchman and Seli Groves, is one resource for this information.) Longer pieces or novels must also include a synopsis covering the entire plotline. The synopsis counts as part of the 10,000 words.
- Your email is your cover letter. Include any previous sales and any workshops you may have attended. The cover email should also include your name, address, and phone number. Please include your attending membership number in your email. You can’t be assigned a space without an attending membership.
The deadline is now. Don’t delay. Write an email to reserve a spot. No submissions can be accepted after July 25th to allow for reading and assignments.
Email Oz Whiston at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following is an incomplete list of the moderators, writers, and experienced professionals who have agreed to give two hours of their time to the writing workshops.
- Elizabeth Bear
- Richard Chwedyk
- Laura Anne Gilman
- Eileen Gunn
- Colin Harvey
- P. C. Hodgell
- Larry Hodges
- Victoria Janssen
- Mindy Klasky
- Mary Robinette Kowal
- Nancy Kress
- Jay Lake
- David D. Levine
- Karin Lowachee
- Jean Lorrah, Ph.D.
- Elissa Malcohn
- Mike Shepherd Moscoe
- Jody Lynn Nye
- Tony Pi
- Jenny Rae Rappaport
- Lawrence Schoen
- Delia Sherman
- Catherynne Valente