[Anticipation-Hugo-ceremony] Radios for Hugo Ceremony

Carl Zwanzig zbang at radix.net
Tue Jul 21 21:11:35 PDT 2009

Lance Sibley wrote:
> --- On Mon, 7/20/09, Carl Zwanzig <zbang at radix.net> wrote:
>> Also remember that someone with a headset isn't going to
>> easily juggle a radio, too. (And you'll need earplugs for
>> the radios. For the person using the radio, that is.)
>
> Do the radios not have belt clips or fanny packs?
> And why earplugs? Is that the style of headset we're using?

Lessee,
A radio on the hip is not useful in a performance space w/o a hand
speaker/mic, an earphone, or a headset.

It's hard to wear two headsets at once (radio and intercom). Even with
an earphone for the radio, cross-communication happens.

Backstage, you can't have noises that will escape, such as an open
radio speaker.

I have no idea what radios we're using, I just know how to handle
them. A normal hand-held radio is practically useless backstage,
especially if you're trying to be quiet.  Not to say that this is an
insurmountable problem, only that it deserves some consideration
before depending on it.

z!