[Anticipation-Hugo-ceremony] Radios for Hugo Ceremony

John Maizels jmaizels at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 22 07:39:59 PDT 2009

Hi, Julie.  No comment too silly, no idea too weird.  :-)  That's us.

We certainly would want you to have a radio handy during rehearsal,
so that we can re-cue you without yelling.   That's highly beneficial.

There was a further flight-of-fancy discussion involving in-show
earpiece (would you believe... I can bring one of those neato devices
with the clear tube like TV anchors and spooks use.   Works with
almost any hairdo).

While I suspect that's not going to be an idea to which you would
subscribe, it's something that we can discuss and determine
usefulness/desirability.

John

At 22:38 22/07/2009, Julie Czerneda wrote:
>Just to check (because my initial comment was far too silly to be
>noticed) -- this doesn't apply to me, does it?
>
>Julie
>
>2009/7/22 Carl Zwanzig <zbang at radix.net>:
> > Lance Sibley wrote:

> >> Do the radios not have belt clips or fanny packs?
> >> And why earplugs? Is that the style of headset we're using?
> >
> > Lessee,
> > A radio on the hip is not useful in a performance space w/o a hand
> > speaker/mic, an earphone, or a headset.
> >
> > It's hard to wear two headsets at once (radio and intercom). Even with an
> > earphone for the radio, cross-communication happens.
> >
> > Backstage, you can't have noises that will escape, such as an open radio
> > speaker.
> >

> > I have no idea what radios we're using, I just know how to handle them. A
> > normal hand-held radio is practically useless backstage, especially if
> > you're trying to be quiet.  Not to say that this is an insurmountable
> > problem, only that it deserves some consideration before depending on it.
> >
> > z!

John P Maizels
Mobile: +61-412-576-888

Chair,  Media Industry Technologist Certification Ltd
www.mitc.tv
SMPTE Governor, Asia Pacific Region
Immediate Past Chair, SMPTE Australia Section
www smpte org au