[Anticipation-Hugo-ceremony] Draft timeline (mostly) for Sunday

Carl Zwanzig zbang at radix.net
Wed Jul 29 00:48:09 PDT 2009

A few things (mostly tech-centric):

Historically, Hugo rehearsals have been only a couple of hours. Is
five+ hours really needed?

Who's required to arrive at 1000? For the 1100 staff meeting?

Tech "fire-up" is 1100, but crew call is 1130. Which is it? Who?

How much crew is required and when?  This schedule has the potential
to gobble up an entire 25-person crew for the entire day. I can see a
few people being needed for the whole day, but not most of the unless
they want to be there.  For example- if the camera and followspot ops
are at all skilled, I'd expect them to make sure their setups work and
to practice the moves, but I don't see a reason for them to be present
otherwise.  Actually, the same could be said for most of the operators
(some, such as the graphics op, might need more practice). Obviously,
this doesn't apply to the video/event director and their assistant.

Basically, these rehearsals have usually consisted mostly of showing
the presenters where to walk. With lots of dead time when they're
late/missing, we risk severe crew boredom and possible burnout from
extreme thumb twiddling.

IIRC, tech dinner is 1800. Location unknown.

Is the crew released while photos are still being taken? I think that
only 30 minutes from end of show to crew leaving is optimistic. Light
op will need to stay until the photos are complete.

* Is someone organizing the post-show photos?
* Has someone already written the VoG announcements? (Other than
house-required oncs, I generally despise them.)
* Is there music from the time from end of pre-show slides until event
start? Should be.

I'll probably think of something else, but not for at least 8 hours.

z!