[Siteselection] site selection

Glenn Glazer glenn.glazer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:10:35 PDT 2008

Hi, John.

So, on the Monday after D3, I had a long chat with Steve Francis and
Dick Spelman, who have work most, if not all of the site selection
tables over the last couple of decades.

As far as location goes, it needs to be near the fan tables, of course.
Unlike the poor placement at D3, it needs to have flow going by it.
This is for three reasons:
       - increasing the visibility of the tables and access of the
voters to encourage people to vote
       - better queueing so that the back of the line doesn't hit the
Xerps (for example) table.
       - better emergency exiting

On the subject of number of tables, we will need roughly twice as much
space as D3 because we will be doing a NASFiC selection as well.  Each
basic "U" for a poll takes four tables in the "U", with the bottom being
the two table side.  Each "U" also needs four chairs.  There should also
be a round table for each poll and a backstage prep/storage table with
two chairs.  For two polling areas, this comes to 10 rectangular tables,
12 chairs and two round tables.

Other requirements include pipe and drape to separate the two areas,
phone lines for the card swipers and power for swipers and laptops.

A wish list item would be flying signs that say "Worldcon Site
Selection" and "NASFiC Site Selection".  If we make these generic, then
we could donate them to WSFS for other conventions to use, much as other
cons have donated ATA cases for exhibits shipping.

Best,

Glenn

--
#include<generic_pithy_sig_line.h>