[Siteselection] Anticipation Site Selection info

Colin Harris palatinate at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 07:54:32 PDT 2009

Many thanks Glenn

I have to say that you make some excellent points here. As you can
imagine, my main focus was on how we process the data, and I hadn't
really reflected on the precedents and problems that early access to
the voter list could create. Having thought about this a bit more, I
agree with your comments and that the right answer is to wait until
the count is completed.

I'd therefore like to focus if I may on specific questions around the
approach you have kindly explained.

1. If I understand correctly, you'll have validated as you go along,
so the data would be available as soon as the count is finished and
signed off. I can't see any reason preventing the release of the data
to us at that point - can you confirm that we will receive it then?

2. You'll also have it in electronic format - so we'll be receiving a
CSV/Excel file with the fields you describe? (including the extra two
fields for the vote by mail/in person split).

3. I'm sure that you can appreciate the value to us (and Warren!) of
receiving the data as early as possible so we can begin the
integration process. Do you have a view on when you will start the
count? I know that the desk closes at 6pm and in principle counting
commences immediately; and in an uncontested vote with prevalidated
ballots, the count should typically
take no more than an hour. It would be very helpful to us if the count
could occur as early as convenient after the desk is closed - that
will enable yourself and the counters to enjoy the evening later on,
and help us to be well prepared for the following day.

4. As an aside - do you think it would be possible for us to receive a
full extract of the name / address information for Montreal (not the
voters - this would be everyone) earlier in the convention? It's very
useful to see where our address doesn't match the one held by
Montreal, because people often are less vigilant in sending CoAs to
bids than to cons they are currently getting pubs from. Spotting these
anomalies will make it easier to investigate them and easier to merge
the voter data (by name and address match) later on when we do get it
from you.

5. Finally on the separation of the mail-in ballots - thanks for
letting us know the time, we'll check availability at our end for that
slot and let you know in the next couple of days who will be
attending.

Many thanks again for your considered response on this.

Colin

2009/7/23 Glenn Glazer <glenn.glazer at gmail.com>:
> Hi, Colin.

SNIP