[Translation] Translating biographies

René Walling cybernetic.nomad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 14:42:28 PST 2009

Hi,

There are about 106 biographies currently left to translate. More
will be coming soon (programming has had well over 300 people sign up
to be panelists)

In addition to this, we will have the following publications to translate:

Progress Report 4: We expect this will be another 64 page PR.
Deadline for texts is February 28th, deadline for translations is
March 15th. Note that the programming team has requested an extension
of two weeks to submit their content which they exp[ect to run at
about 3000 words/

Souvenir Book: Paul Selkirk, the editor has started working on
content, expect him to start sending you text to trasnlate soon. We
are currently budgeting this to be about 300 pages. The good news is
that hopefully a quarter of this are ads and some text (the WSFS
Consitution, standing rules, and a few other things are already
trasnlated) If someone wants to get a head start, they can work on
translating the long list of Worldcons and the list of past Hugo
winners right away, contact Paul at paul at psgd.org for the text. Text
for the Canventions and the Aurora awards probably doesn't need
translation, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Other publications that will need translating:

Restaurant and services guide: I don't know exactly how long this
will be, Jo Walton is the editor.

Pocket programme: this is edited by Jannie Shea. The good news is
that most of it doesn't require translation (I believe the plan is to
list English panels in English, French panels in French and bilingual
items in both languages.

The Masquerade and Hugo Awards ceremonies usually have a small
programme booket. this too will eventually need translating.

Onsite Newsletter: The newsletter team will hopefully include
francophones who can take care of translations onsite, AFAIK, we are
still looking for people.

Looking at the above list, I think it's obvious that the more we do
ahead of time, the better off we will be.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that Claire Beaumier has joined the
translation team and we're still looking for more people to help
since we have a lot of work ahead of us.

Thanks everyone!

Rene